Calefax invites composers of all ages and nationalities to participate in the 12th annual Composers Competition for Reed Quintet. The winning composition will be announced in the Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ in Amsterdam, on December 28, 2019, and performed in the following year by the world-renowned Calefax Reed Quintet.
The winning composer will also be awarded a prize of 2.000 EUR. (The jury has the right to appoint more than one winner, and divide the prize accordingly).
International Reed Quintet Network
Moreover, the prizewinning composition will also be performed by various outstanding reed quintets from all over the world. Next to that, some of them will also be choosing their own favorite composition, which will receive a special mention. Please keep an eye on this page for updates about participating reed quintets.
In order to give all entries to the competition maximum exposure, Calefax will share the compositions with other ensembles of the World Wide Reed Quintet Network.
* Entries for the Calefax Composers Competition 2019 must be received by December 6, 2019
* Composers of any nationality and age may enter their works
* The length of submitted compositions should not exceed 9 minutes
* Only one work per composer can be submitted
* Entries must be new and original works (no arrangements)
* Compositions have to be feasible by five players on the following instruments:
* If live electronic media is used, it should be operable without the composer present, using stand-alone software to be operated by the ensemble or a sound technician. Multichannel sound should be limited to a maximum of four channels. If a soundtrack is used, preferably without click track.
The jury of the Calefax Composers Competition consists of all five members of Calefax. The esteemed composer Yannis Kyriakides will function as chairman of the jury. The jury will judge all scores anonymously. All participants will be notified about the results of the competition. The results of the jury are final.
Send your composition both as a score (in C) and as transposed parts in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only digital scores can be submitted and submitting a midi-recording of your piece is optional.
Please note that digital scores and parts should not contain the composer’s name, since the scores are to be judged anonymously by the jury!
The deadline for submissions is December 6, 2019.
Previous winners of the Calefax Composers Competition were Holger de Bruin (2008, The Netherlands) Heleen Verleur (2009, The Netherlands), Jeffrey Harrington (2010, USA/France), José Mora-Jiménez (2011, Costa- Rica/The Netherlands), Didier Marc Garin (2012, France), Corey Dundee (2013, USA), Michael Walsh (2014, United Kingdom), Janco Verduin (2015, The Netherlands), Mithatcan Öcal (2017, Turkey) and Yeonju Kim (2018, Korea) and Yonatan Ron (2018, Israël).