Calefax invites composers of all ages and nationalities to participate in the 15th annual Composers Competition for Reed Quintet. The winning composition will be announced in the Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ in Amsterdam, on December 28, 2022, and performed in the following year by the world-renowned Calefax Reed Quintet.
For the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the Competition we would like to highlight two special features:
World Wide Reed Quintet Network
Moreover, the prizewinning composition will also be performed by various outstanding reed quintets from all over the world. On top of that two other Quintets, Atlantic Reed Consort and Kalamos Reed Quintet, will also be choosing their own favorite composition, which will receive a ‘special mention’. Please keep an eye on the Calefax website for updates about participating reed quintets. In order to give all entries to the competition maximum exposure, Calefax will share the compositions with other ensembles of the World Wide Reed Quintet Network.
* Entries for the Calefax Composers Competition 2021 must be received at the latest on 28 November 2022, at 9.00 hours CET.
* The length of submitted compositions should not exceed 7 minutes.
* Only one work per composer can be submitted
* Entries must be either an original work or an arrangement for Reed Quintet of an own work
* Compositions have to be feasible by five players on the following instruments:
* If live electronic media is used, it should be operable without the composer present, using stand-alone software to be operated by the ensemble or a sound technician. Multichannel sound should be limited to a maximum of four channels.
* If a soundtrack is used, preferably without click track.
The jury of the Calefax Composers Competition consists of all five members of Calefax. The internationally acclaimed composer Kate Moore, winner of the 2017 Matthijs Vermeulen Prize and founder of the Herz Ensemble will function as chairman of the jury. The jury will judge all scores anonymously. All participants will be notified about the results of the competition. The results of the jury are final.
Send your composition both as a score (in C) and as transposed parts in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your piece needs to be performed from a score please add a transposed score as well. Only digital scores can be submitted. Submitting a midi-recording of your piece is optional. Please note that digital scores and parts should not contain the composer’s name, since the scores are to be judged anonymously by the jury!
The deadline for submissions is 28 November 2022, 09.00 hours CET.
Previous winners of the Calefax Composers Competition were Holger de Bruin (2008, The Netherlands) Heleen Verleur (2009, The Netherlands), Jeffrey Harrington (2010, USA/France), José Mora-Jiménez (2011, Costa- Rica/The Netherlands), Didier Marc Garin (2012, France), Corey Dundee (2013, USA), Michael Walsh (2014, United Kingdom), Janco Verduin (2015, The Netherlands), Mithatcan Öcal (2017, Turkey), Yeonju Kim (2018, Korea), Yonatan Ron (2018, Israël), Uğurcan Öztekin (2019, Turkey), Patrick John Jones (2020, United Kingdom) and Nina Shekhar (2020, USA) & Abraham Gómez (Mexico, 2021).
Composer & chairman of the jury Kate Moore. Picture by Lara St John.
Picture Calefax: Marije van den Berg Photography